Our current medical model focuses heavily on the physical aspects of health. At Biophilia Wellness, we believe in the holistic approach that considers the whole person and all three pillars of the “health triad”.
* MIND * BODY * SOUL *
Our health is dependent on optimal physiological, psychological, and
- Physiology deals with the physical and chemical components of our body and it’s impact on our function and activity.
- Psychology considers the functions and behaviors related to different mental statuses.
- Ecology refers to the relations of organisms to one another and to their physical surroundings. To me, the soul is the connection we have to all living things, the belief or understanding that our health is dependent on the health of the whole.
Drawing the line between physiological, psychological, and ecological aspects of health is not very easy because functions overlap in many situations. More important than defining each piece, it is essential to consider all aspects for comprehensive care. Whole health is influenced by the way in which we live our lives.
Physical health benefits from regular participation in Nature Therapy/ Forest Bathing include:
- Reduced blood pressure and heart rate
- Reduced cortisol levels which can
• lower stress
• reduce risk for heart disease
• reduce anxiety, depression, and weight gain
- Improved memory and concentration
- Improved immune system, including increased Natural Killer (NK) cells
- Improved parasympathetic nerve activity leading to better sleep
- Reduced sympathetic nerve activity
- Reduced impacts of stressful events
- Improved sense of wellbeing
- Improved attention and focus
In addition to physical health benefits observed, this practice can offer many intangible benefits related to emotional, energetic, relational and spiritual health.